POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : --- : Re: Liscense Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Liscense
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 12 Dec 2006 02:54:22
Message: <457e602e$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott schrieb:

> This one does bug me a tad. If you completely redid POV-Ray to make it
> an includable library, which had its "own" render window that "must" be
> used as the installed component, "can't" be hidden by the developer and
> which, as part of its initialization, automatically displayed a test
> render and a scrollable disclaimer, including a statement that this is
> not an original, etc., etc., would that "cover" the requirement?

I don't really see your point here.  The POV-Ray license requires a
custom version to be a fully functional version of POV-Ray.  The reason
for this is to prevent anyone from crippling POV-Ray to just perform a
certain limited task.  The user who gets a custom version of POV-Ray
should always be able to do everything possible with the official
version as well.  For the same reason the license does not allow to
disguise the fact that POV-Ray is used in a program system.

As far as practical problems of using POV-Ray in combination with other
programs is concerned - you seem to be very focussed on the GUI versions
of POV-Ray.  The license no way requires a distributed POV-Ray
executable to have a GUI and in the Unix frontend the GUI/render window
has always been optional.

-- Christoph